Monday, November 17, 2008

Jeanne's Beef Stroganoff Recipe



My friend Jeanne was the Godliest woman I knew; she was patient, and kind, and wise; and I always looked up to her. She had the best smile and was famous for her pies. I was lucky to be her friend.
Sadly, seven years ago she was diagnosed with stage IIII ovarian cancer; and doctors said she'd be lucky to live past five years. Jeanne died last year, a week before Christmas, and I still miss her like crazy. Today is her birthday, and I wanted to share with everyone her beef stroganoff recipe. It was the first meal she ever cooked for my husband and I, too!
Would you like to see a glimpse of how incredible Jeanne is? click HERE for a video. It's amazing.

JEANNE'S BEEF STROGANOFF

2-1/2 lbs round steak
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup dry red wine
1-2 large onions
4 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup tomato paste
6 tablespoons flour
2 cans condensed beef consomme
2 bay leaves, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sour cream

Brown meat quickly in oil, then transfer to a 3 quart casserole, and add salt, pepper and wine.
In drippings, saute onion, add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes.

Mix tomato paste, flour and beef consomme in a small bowl. Add to mushrooms and onion. Add bay leaf and garlic. Pour over meat, cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour or until meat is tender.

Remove from oven and stir in sour cream before serving. Serve over egg noodles.

2 comments:

Redeemed by Grace said...

Thanks Jess for such a beautiful memory of the dearest woman I have ever known. She left behind so many legacies but I would have to say her godliness and cooking are way at the top. Happy Birthday Jeanne!

love,
gina

Jennifer said...

I love this recipe. My father in law has one that is VERY similar.

I think I met Jeanne at your house once. Hope you are enjoying her memory and the joy she brought to your life today!